Selling properties is more about selling a lifestyle, than selling bricks and mortar. This is particularly relevant to holiday homes in premium locations such as Puebla Aida, at Mijas Golf in the Costa del Sol, according to Jane Cooper at Dressed2Sell, one of the UK’s top home staging consultancies.
As Jane comments, “Potential buyers are seeking an aspirational lifestyle – somewhere to relax and really enjoy life. Our job is to make that as simple as possible for them to imagine – from the first time they see the property on the internet to the moment they walk through the door.”
“At Dressed2Sell, we advise clients to consider who their target audience will be – a young family, retired couple, young professionals …. this will influence how best to present and market a property. It’s good to put yourself in the buyer’s shoes.”
That said, there are several key tips that will increase a property’s appeal to all audiences and put you ahead of the game when selling. Whether you are looking for properties in Mijas, or any other premium location, the same rules will always apply. “When buyers are comparing properties, you want to make sure that yours is the property they remember ….. for all the right reasons!” says Jane.
Property Preparation Tips
Dressed2Sell’s top tips when preparing your property for market:
- Show off your assets! A beautiful marble tiled floor is a selling point needs to be shown off. By removing runners and busy patterned rugs, your property will also look lighter and more spacious. If you have a stunning fireplace, don’t put things in front of it or clutter it up with ornaments etc. Let it stand out as a focus of attention.
- You are selling a lifestyle – and nothing sells that like the thought of a chilled glass of wine on the balcony while the sun goes down! So, make sure the balcony is immaculate and that your furniture is good quality and attractive. It can be difficult to keep pots and plants watered if you are away, so instead, invest in some attractive lanterns and candles. For marketing photographs and viewings, make sure there are wine, glasses, olives etc on the table to suggest a relaxed, aspirational lifestyle.
- Keep all surfaces free of clutter, cut down on over personalised family photos, thin out books and remove items from the top shelves of units (this gives the illusion of even higher ceilings).
- Keep things fresh – place fragranced diffusers in bathrooms. Go for light, spring like scents. Use cling film over plug holes to protect against any stale drain smells which tend to build when the property is empty, it really works!
- In bathrooms, hide away all clutter and cleaning materials. Have fluffy white towels for viewings and marketing photographs and display only premium brand toiletries and perfumes. This will give a more luxurious hotel/spa feel.
- As it is impossible to maintain fresh flowers inside a property when you are not there, invest in some good quality faux flower displays. White orchids, lilies or amarylis work particularly well. They look very elegant and go with most décor. Never have dried flowers – they look dull and dusty!
- Avoid too many strong colours, patterns and heavy fabrics, which soak up light. Keep things simple. Freshen up a tired sofa with new cushions in light neutral colours. Light coloured wood or glass furniture will make a room look bigger, and simply removing unnecessary items of dark heavy furniture can have good results.
- Mirrors are great at creating the illusion of more light and space, so if you have a dark area in a room, hang a mirror, not a picture.
- In the kitchen, keep surfaces clear, except for smart chrome appliances such as a toaster and kettle. If you have one, a coffee maker is also a nice aspirational touch.
- To avoid white kitchens looking bland, add pots of artificial herbs, and glass jars of coloured pasta or lentils on surfaces. These also photograph well.
- Get the cleaners in regularly to maintain a fresh, smart appearance and air the property.
- Finally, make sure you are 100% happy with your marketing photos – the crucial first step to getting those viewings!
To find out more about how Dressed2Sell can help you maximise the appeal of your property and achieve its best price, visit www.dressed2sell.co.uk
Contact Property In Mijas Today
When it comes to Costa Del Sol Properties and other premium locations, like properties in Mijas, we have been selling high quality villas and apartments for over 30 years. Make sure you keep up-to-date with all our latest property special offers or call us to arrange a viewing on (+34) 952 477 854.